Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The Writing Life

I came across this very funny, and fairly accurate account of how one writer / stand-up comic / musician copes with his freelance lifestyle. Yes, you have to multi-task (I think it helps avoid burnout say, in writing, though I have no musical skills worth selling!). Yes, you keep weird hours sometimes to get the job done. And yes, you do need to schedule non-work activities, hopefully ones that are enjoyable or fun. Otherwise it's all work, all the time.

Click here to read "Diary of a Self-Help Dropout: Flirting With the 4-Hour Workweek" by Chris Hardwick

1 comment:

foodie suz said...

Ha, that guy is pretty funny.

I always say the only way I write is with a gun to my head - called a deadline. So it is good to self-impose those (I do it via blog writing). I can find about a bazillion things to do to procrastinate. But when I have a deadline, I can crank things out like a machine.

What's your process to write, Jennifer?